Sunday, January 10, 2016

Our First Week in Japan

WE HAVE ARRIVED!!

Our flight to Japan was actually delayed for a few hours because the computer wouldn't work...so after walking across the Detroit airport and boarding another plane...we were on our way. The flight was uneventful...lots of eating, some wine, a few movies, reading half a book, and a few hours of sleep! We were able to also meet a few other Toyota families on the plane too...glad to know we'll have some great people to share the experiences with too!

Once we arrived - we started the process of getting the luggage we brought with us...and going through customs and immigration. I am so thankful that Kaz can speak Japanese - as he did the explaining and I simply smiled and tried to understand the pointing and gestures. We made it to our hotel in one piece after a ride in a jumbo taxi. Taxis here are SPOTLESS...way different that in the US. And, the drivers all wear suits which is their uniform...they also strictly follow traffic laws and don't make you fear for your life!

On Tuesday, we were ready to get into our place! Toyota works with a company called ReloJapan - and they help to get us settled in Japan. They also helped us find a place when we came in November. We used one of our two "settling in" days to get our Residence Card (Sort of like a driver's license that shows we are here legally...I will most likely have to show mine more than Kaz), get new iPhones (process took more than two hours), and then to get a heater, fridge, and washing machine from a recycle shop (like a second hand store). Jeremy did most of the talking for us...which was nice! I am not sure we totally would have been able to do all of that on our own.

The next few days were full of eating out (since we didn't have most appliances), getting our car (which Kaz will drive...not me!), exploring, and trying to figure out what we needed for our place. It's odd because right now we have temporary furniture and also our air and sea shipments have not been delivered yet. So everything is all over the place...and we are even sure what we shipped anymore! Hence the reason that I have not posted pictures of our place yet...those will come...once we get settled and it does not resemble a college dorm that has been hit by a tornado!

On Friday - Kaz had to go into work for a health assessment...so I was on my own. Toyota is about 35km away from where we live - so it's a hour one-way by multiple trains for a 45 minute drive. About five minutes after he left, an alarm started going off in our house. I had no idea what it was. We have all these panels and things here - which are in Japanese and don't make sense to us. We are just learning what they actually do. They have been labeled in English - however, it doesn't help! I am looking at these keyboard and it keeps blinking "red" - so I decide we must have a security alarm (that we didn't know we had) and Kaz must have activated it when he left. And, since I was still in apartment I must have set it off. So I see a button that says "alarm off" and push it...nothing. Suddenly, there is a knock at the door - and the security guard is there...and he speaks no English. a frantic me, still in my PJs, am saying things like "key," "husband at work," "help?." And he says a few things in Japanese and walks away. I finally get hold of Kaz and somehow get it turned off by going outside and unlocking the door with a key. Apparently the alarm gets set when you lock the top lock on the door with the key...who knew?! The guy came back and when he saw that it had stopped - he nodded and left.

After calming down...I was able to laugh at most of the situation. I had a hard time shaking the frustration of not being able to communicate with the security guard and bothering him with my mistake. I practiced saying "I'm sorry" (gomen nasi), so that when I say him next I could say it to him. We did see him the next day - and I apologized and he explained to Kaz that it happens to so many people when they first get here. Phew!!

Some other highlights of the week...we drove about 90 minutes away to a city called Otsu (in the Shiga prefecture). It houses Japan's biggest lake - Lake Biwa. We will definitely have to explore this area more.

It was a sunny day - and we even stopped at a shrine there. Just to look around.

On our way back, we stopped at the Costco - which was about 45 minutes from our place. I have never been to a Costco - so it's funny that my first experience was in Japan. It was crowded - though I am told that it is the same in the US. I have to say it felt nice to see some familiar foods - like bagels, frozen fruit, granola, etc. We bought many things - especially ones that we can freeze and use over time. And, we got a membership - so we'll be back! :)

Sunday was spent doing a little more shopping and exploring. I am sure you all know how much we love coffee shops and cafes - so we tried our first one. Cafe Cosmonaute, which was French-themed. I even had a quiche...which was nice!! :)

Kaz starts work this morning (it's Monday morning here)...so this starts my adventure of exploring a bit more on my own (and building up confidence) and figuring out a routine over the next few weeks! More soon! :)


Sunny moments: exploring a new city, beginning to get settled, getting a phone with iMessage and still being able to text with family and friends, learning to laugh at "failures"...

Cloudy moments: language barriers, feeling less independent, things taking longer (websites and labels completely in Japanese)

9 comments:

  1. Excited to hear that you are doing well. It was a great idea to set up this blog! I am excited to hear about your adventures, especially relating to speech. I cannot imagine living in a foreign country but what adventures it will bring you and you have the perfect mindset. I am so excited to hear more about your adventure on here and in August. You will be a pro living there by then! Enjoy! Love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys got this!! So excited to see your first of many adventures! Skype or text me when you can! Love yous !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, excited to see your thoughts in print (the modern version of it, anyway)! :) Perfect title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny about the alarm!! Excited to keep up with your Japanese adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny about the alarm!! Excited to keep up with your Japanese adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you guys! Love the post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!!! I love that you are blogging about this! You have a such a natural way of retelling your story and the events of that day! I love that pictures, a mixture of beauty, humor, smiles, and food! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not wait to read your blog today! So thankful my 11am cancelled so I didn't have to wait until lunch ;) LOVE the title- and it reminds me of the book: Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs! Thanks for posting the map- super helpful for my visual-thinking mind! Excited to read more about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete