Sunday, January 10, 2016

Japan & Blogging...


As most of you know - Kaz and I headed to Japan on Sunday, January 3rd, 2016! Kaz's job (Toyota) sent him on a two-year placement here. We are living in a city called Nagoya, which is the third largest city in Japan. Sort of like Cincinnati - there are neighborhoods here within the cities. We are living in the Higashiyama ("East Mountain") Koen ("Park") area. So far, we like it...there is the city zoo and botanical gardens right down the street...so there is more "green" space than I have seen anywhere else in Nagoya (which means more room to run...and you know that is a neccessity in our lives)! I've actually been on two runs here already...and found my way back in one piece! :)

I am hoping to work as a "freelance" speech therapist while I am here. The Nagoya International School (and some other local international schools) have some English-speaking students who may need therapy. I can't get a work visa - but I can get a work permit that allows me to work about 20 hours per week...which will be nice with doing some research back home, language lessons, exploring, and all the other things that I am sure will pop up. Since everyone has been shut down for the New Year's holiday - I am hoping to start the process of getting my permit this week. It's been busy trying to get settled - and we still have lots to do (as our shipments have not arrived yet and they come to take our temporary furniture away in a few weeks).

I knew that I wanted to start a blog about our experiences in Japan. While stressful in many ways - this is also an exciting and once in a lifetime experience for us. I was actually hoping to start the blog before we left the States as it took a lot to get ready to go - and we had some wonderful send-offs by our amazing family members and friends...but I could not think of the right title for the blog. The other day - as I was spouting off my thoughts for the blog...wanting to talk about adventures and challenges...my desire to view this whole experience - even the hard parts - with a growth mindset... Kaz started giving me some phrases in Japanese that encompassed that idea. The perfect one - Hare Tokidoki Kumori - which literally means "sunny with a few clouds." It is often used to describe the weather - and also emotions and experiences! PERFECT! :)

My goal - other than to connect with family and friends and to log my experiences...is to also be able to talk about the "sunny" moments and the "cloudy" ones too! And to see them all as a way of growing and evolving! Please feel free to comment, share stories, and even request topics for posts too!!

Love to you all!
~Jaime

1 comment: