Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Language Journey...22 Months Later!

I was re-reading my 'Language Journey - 10 Months Later' post this morning and realized that I haven't written a post on the whole language learning process in a while! Even though it continues to be a huge aspect of my daily life in Japan. Last year at this time, I was gearing up to take the N5 Level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Exam (which I did manage to pass - barely) and this year I'm gearing up to take the N4 Level of the same test (in just about three weeks). After last year's exam and the frustrations I experienced with feeling like the test assessed more of my ability to learn the test than to functionally speak Japanese...I've asked myself more than a few times recently why I decided to take yet another level of the exam. For me, I think a lot of it does come down to wanting some kind of feedback on my Japanese learning...almost like proof that my skills are improving...especially since this improvement can be so difficult to judge and believe on a daily basis. As the outward progress just never quite seems indicative of the time and effort I've been putting into learning Japanese.

So, where am I know?! Well, I would say that my vocabulary size has increased; I have a better understanding of many grammar rules; I can recognize more words in spoken utterances - though usually not always the entire utterance (and still little to none of it if I am taken by surprise); I can have a basic conversation (maybe four or five back and forth exchanges - and more if the person also speaks English); I can get through daily interactions (as long as the routine does not deviate much); I can read passages in my textbooks (that contain mostly hiragana and katakana...and few kanji); I can better understand the ways in which culture and language influence each other (which often makes guessing and inferring a tad easier); and, I can often think of what was said/what I should have said after walking away from a 'failed' communication situation. While this sounds like a lot - and is in many ways - it definitely still amounts to understanding less than 30% of the information I am presented with daily and probably only saying 10% of my thoughts (beyond basic needs and functional communication).

While I don't really have an outline to say where I should be by now...I often feel as though I should be much further along. Perhaps this is the SLP in me who immerses herself in language development on a daily basis. I definitely think that one aspect is related to my personality. When it comes to communication, I tend to hold back more than I jump in. I've found myself in so many situations in which I am thinking about things I could say in Japanese and then I don't. Or, my nerves get the best of me in a situation and I just freeze instead of letting myself take in the information and then giving myself time to process it. Another aspect is lack of total immersion. Other than during my lessons, sometimes with Kaz, and during daily situations (when needed) - I don't speak Japanese that often. Therefore, I am not in situations in which I have to 'just speak' very often. The third aspect (and it's one I've mentioned in every language-related blog post) is that language development is just plain hard!!!

One of my debates with myself as I learn the language is what aspects are most important for me to learn...as it's near impossible to focus on all aspects of language learning at one time. And, as with most things, this focus has changed throughout the journey. Initially, I wanted to be able to 'get by' in daily life; and with time, practice, and exposure I was able to do that. My next goal was to be able to understand more and speak more on a functional level. And, in many ways, this is the goal I'm still working on...and probably will be forever. With these goals comes the necessity of learning grammar rules and building vocabulary. So, I've found that it's quite the balance between time spent studying and memorizing - as I am for my upcoming exam - and time spend learning and developing these skills through daily conversation. For example, during my lesson today, as I was reviewing certain grammar rules - I had to put words in order to make a sentence. Looking at the words, I knew what the sentence needed to say (meaning-wise), but I couldn't figure out how to order the words correctly (grammar-wise). In that moment, I thought to myself - well, I get the gist...and that's all that matters. And then I thought, well, if I don't know the grammar then I won't actually ever be able to say this utterance to someone. See the dilemma?! You need both!

I decided very early that I was not going to spend time learning to write in Japanese - as I can type using the regular keyboard to create the Japanese letters. Last weekend, when Kaz and I were studying, he asked me to write a word in Japanese. Even though I can recognize all the letters in this word - I could not write them. I found myself sitting there...trying to bring up what the letter looked like in my head...and not being able to. Kaz wrote the word, then erased it, and even then I could maybe make a mediocre attempt at one or two of the letters. In that moment, I have to admit that I was completely dumbfounded. For as often as I say to parents that it can be difficult for students to write sentences or stories when they have an underlying language disorder - I don't think I've really processed how difficult just writing one letter can be. And, how much work it can be to develop just that skill!

I also made the decision not to learn kanji, which means that reading here is basically out of the question. I can read words written in hiragana and katakana; however, it's rare to find sentences composed of only those two...other than in my textbooks. My textbooks, which are obviously geared toward people learning Japanese, definitely makes me feel like I can read way more than I can. I'll read an entire paragraph (stopping many times to look up the meaning of the word) and then I'll get to to grocery store and not be able to read a sale sign. It's such an interesting contrast. For my upcoming exam, I need to know about 300 kanji - so I've begun doing some studying...and I can tell you that it feels so overwhelming! I really struggle to wrap my head around learning and remembering words in picture form. Plus, almost all kanji have two pronunciations - one used when they stand alone as a single kanji and another when they are combined with other kanji to make a totally different word. The single kanji is challenging enough...I don't know that I can even think about combining kanji! Phew! 

My Japanese teacher often asks me why I am so invested in learning Japanese...and with only two months left in Japan, I've been pondering this question myself. Especially at it relates to how this journey continues. One of the reasons is definitely because of my strong desire to communicate and connect with others and my environment. Being in a new place has motivated me even more to broaden my worldview and learn from those who are different than me. Plus, I don't enjoy feeling like I don't know what's going on - even though I've become a master of that these last two years! Another reason is definitely due to the fact that I've found this entire language learning process so fascinating - from both a personal and professional perspective. Plus, my only language-learning experience prior to this was a year of Spanish in high school. And, lastly, many of Kaz's family members speak Japanese...so I want to be able to communicate with them more easily when I have the chance. Plus, this whole experience has us thinking about what role we want the Japanese language to have in our children's lives - when that time comes.

So with the JLPT N4 exam and about four weeks left of Japanese classes left, these are my thoughts moving forward...and who knows, they may change...and probably will numerous times! Until the exam, I will study as much as I can. Then, when we return to Texas...I hope to connect with a Japanese teacher who can help me to finish the last five chapters I have left in Book Two. Once I am finished with that book, I will have learned all the grammar and vocabulary needed to communicate very basically in Japanese. And so, from that point...conversation will be my focus. Perhaps that means taking a lesson once a week or every other week and focusing solely on talking. Plus, talking more with Kaz - when time allows. I guess we shall see. I know life will change once we move home; however, I know that this is a journey that I want to continue in some form. I may never learn to read passages with kanji or write a simple sentence...but if I can carry on a 'bit more than basic' conversation someday - I'll be thrilled! In the mean time, I can say that - while it isn't always obvious to me - I know that I've already come a long way on this Japanese language learning journey! 

Some samples of my current review homework! 

No comments:

Post a Comment