Monday, November 6, 2017

Summertime Happenings, Sun, and Clouds

As the cooler weather begins to set in...thank goodness...and the leaves begin to change...I'm finally taking some time to reflect on the summer months of our second year in Japan. Recently, things have been go-go-go here (in a rather normal, settled, and living life kind of way) and finding time to both reflect and blog has been rather difficult. Hence the reason you're all reading a post about summer in...November! 

The summer months brought the end of a full school year working at NIS, lots of heat and humidity, our second home-leave trip back to the US, and a visit from my brother...to name a few. Here's more about the happenings and some reflections on the past three months. It's hard to believe that my next 'season in review' post will be the last of our time here in Japan. 

~*Happenings*~
My Birthday - For the second year in a row, the rain forced us to cancel our weekend getaway plans for my birthday; however, we filled our weekend with lots of local fun. A 'western' breakfast of pancakes, a beer tour of the Asahi beer factory (last year for my birthday we toured the Kirin beer factory), and a trip to a local fruit park. Plus, a 3.1 mile run - with some time to reflect on year 30 - and to welcome in year 31! 

SCMaglev and Railway Park - In addition to traveling throughout Japan, we've made it a priority to explore as much of Nagoya as possible. And, the last museum on our list was the Maglev museum. The museum was a lot of fun and was filled with trains...lots of trains! It was neat to see how much the trains in Japan have changed throughout the years - as well as just how advanced they were from the start...when compared to public transit in other parts of the world. 

Day Trip to Gamagori - Summer definitely left me longing for some time at the beach or by the pool; however, that's rather difficult here in the Nagoya area. One would think that with Japan being an island - it would have a lot of beaches - but it actually doesn't. However, one sunny afternoon, my friend Jacklyn and I set off to 'find a beach' nearby. One thing that I've learned while living in Japan is that IF a website has English - then it probably contains only the bare bones information-wise. This often results in...not really knowing what you're getting yourself into until you arrive. After googling 'beaches near Nagoya' we came up with a few suggestions - and after looking a few google images - we settled on Gamagori. 

Now, I wouldn't say that the website's use of the word 'beach' matched our visions; however, Gamagori did have a neat island (Takeshima) - which we were able to explore; a nice little cafe - randomly hidden in a strip mall; and, actual grass - which we pretended was sand!
Oktoberfest is Back! - This year, Nagoya once again celebrated Oktoberfest in July! Lots of fun, food, beer, people watching...and even a polar bear wearing a yukata!
Traditional Japanese Wedding Pictures - One of the things I wanted to do before leaving Japan was to have traditional pictures taken. Getting dressed in (or should I say 'being dressed in') a Japanese wedding kimono was quite the experience. I couldn't believe how much work and effort went into putting the kimono on...and how heavy the kimono was! The whole experience was unforgettable and a really amazing way to really experience an aspect of Kaz's heritage. Plus, these pictures will be a wonderful reminder of our time in Japan for years to come! 
Gion Matsuri - We spent a super hot Saturday celebrating one of Japan's most famous festivals - Gion Matsuri. No yukatas for us this year - but we did enjoy the bustling streets and some time with Kaz's family.
Sumo - Attending a sumo match has also been on my 'To Do' list since arriving in Japan. I didn't think that getting tickets would be so difficult, but in recent years sumo has become much more popular in Japan. Each summer, Nagoya holds a three-week tournament in which sumo wrestlers from all over Japan (and the world) come to compete. Last year, the tickets sold out in less than a day...and this year, in less than an hour. Kaz and I weren't able to get tickets - so I figured that I'd just have to leave sumo for another trip to Japan. However, one of my friends was able to get last minute tickets through one of her friends and I was able to attend! What an experience! 

I'll admit that most of the time - I was unsure of exactly what was happening. There were lots of rituals before and after the actual 'sumo fighting' that were rather hard to follow. However, I did grasp that the point of the match was to push your component out of the ring. I also learned that the tournaments are set up in a way in which the least experienced wrestlers start off the day and the best/most experienced wrestlers finish off the day. So, the energy and excitement continues to intensify as the tournament goes on. On the day I was there, the favored and undefeated wrestler ended up losing and all of the spectators threw their seat cushions in the air. I was definitely not expecting that! (Check out the video below!)
Hakone - After at least five cancelled trips, we finally made it to Hakone! See my Hakone blog post for more about our adventures!
Himakajima - Another weekday exploration trip took Nicole, Jacklyn, and me to the small island of Himakajima. The island is known for octopus and blowfish...and is so small that you can easily cycle around it in less than two hours! 
Home - Our home leave was only two weeks this year instead of three...so we weren't able to see or do as much as we had hoped. However, the two weeks spent seeing family, friends, and going to Camp Shout Out were just what I needed! And...an amazing reminder of how powerful and healing it can be to spend time with those people who have become your 'home' over the years! 
Bry's Visit - We've been so lucky to have so many of our family members and friends visit us while we've been in Japan. My brother came back with us to Japan (after our home leave) and spent about two weeks here. Our adventures started out in Tokyo before taking us a bit north to the Sendai region. The weather was unseasonably rainy; however, we still had a blast. We also did some hiking and waterfall exploring in Gifu, experienced traditional cormorant fishing, went to a Dragon's baseball game, explored Nagoya, checked out Miyajima and Hiroshima, and spent a toasty day in Kyoto! Phew! I loved both getting to spend so much time with Bry and getting to experience Japan through his eyes!
Meiji Mura- Kaz and I spent a sunny Saturday exploring Meiji Mura - an open-air museum that exhibits preserved Japanese architecture from the Meiji Period (the period known for the modernization/westernization of Japan). Meiji Mura contains more than sixty buildings that have  been brought and rebuilt - including a reconstructed main lobby of Franklin Lloyd Wright's landmark Imperial Hotel. 
~*Kit Kats*~
Apparently even Kit Kat flavors reflect the summer heat as two of the three flavors 'needed' to be eaten frozen. 
-Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake
-Frozen Cookies and Cream
-'Takes Me Back to My Youth' Citrus
~*Reflections - Victories, Sunny Moments, Challenges, Cloudy Moments...all in one!*~
Summer in Japan (as an expat) is interesting. Many people return home for several months (especially given the heat and humidity) while others spend time traveling. Therefore, it can feel much quieter. Last summer, we had visitors for almost the entire month of July...so I didn't actually experience this quiet. Although I had therapy sessions most weeks this summer, my routine was quite different. I found myself struggling to create a balance between taking some time to relax and being productive...which was much harder than I imagined it would be. I also found myself beginning to think about 'what comes next' - with our next big move coming in less than six months. And, spending time updating my resume and beginning to scope out job prospects made it quite difficult to stay in the here and now. I found myself becoming frustrated with certain aspects of Japan in the same moments that I was beginning to worry about some aspects of our move to Texas. Plus, when you add in a bit too much time to think and lots of unknowns...I also started to feel rather helpless.

Not knowing what to do, I turned to something that I know well...running. Last summer the heat had made running almost impossible; however, we now belong to a gym...so at least I was able to run on the treadmill. I also started going to yoga weekly, which really helped me to work on slowing down my mind. By adding these elements into my week, I not only helped myself to establish a bit more of a routine, I also gave my mind and a body a much needed out. I also upped my Japanese lessons to three times per week and began slowly checking items off of my 'To Do' list. 

Our visit home in August brought with it a bundle of emotions - even more than last year. Our days in Michigan and Ohio were filled with time spent catching up with family and friends. These moments brought with them such feelings of peace and comfort...realizing that even though a lot has changed...those people who truly matter to you are still by your side. And, at the same time, those visits were reminders of all that has happened while we've been in Japan...weddings, funerals, and lots and lots of babies. Sometimes the feeling of 'all I've missed' can feel pretty heavy. I left my family and friends feeling a strong longing to return 'home' after Japan...and have things 'go back to normal.' The realization that I will have to work to establish yet another new normal definitely feels big...and something I'm not totally sure I'm up for or capable of. 

The first few days at Camp Shout Out last year were a lot for me to take in. I swear that that place is magical in ways I just can't explain. And this year the range and intensity of emotions I experienced were even more intense. Perhaps it's because I've been away for a year longer this time around - I'm not sure. In addition to getting to spend ten days with my camp family...my time at CSO really allows me to refocus. I spent time each morning meditating and was in general more mindful of my thoughts and actions throughout the week. Plus, the time away from technology and the stresses/pressures of trying to understand an entirely different world seemed to give some deeply rooted emotions time to surface. I found myself reflecting a lot on the job I've created here in Japan (with the help of some amazing people) and the fears, frustrations, and worries about having to start the job search all over again. CSO is also always the best reminder possible of the fact that my passion is working with people who stutter...and this time camp left me with an even stronger desire to find a job working with people who stutter (and an even stronger fear that I may not be able to find a job like that in Texas...right away).

Having my brother come back to Japan with us after our home leave was a nice buffer; however, once he left...these thoughts, worries, and realizations began to set in with an even stronger intensity. At the same time, the school year started back up and life once again became busy. Even more so for Kaz than me...which also means less time to talk and sort through all the things swimming around in my head. Which often leads my to just tuck it all away and avoid it for a bit longer. Not always the most helpful option, I suppose! 

And that brings us to the end of September...and a continued effort to find a balance between the things I can control and the things I cannot. Along with allowing myself to fully enjoy my remaining moments in Japan while also beginning to set myself up for what comes next. Not to mention working to allow myself to feel what I feel in a given moment without giving in too much to those thoughts, worries, fears, and questions. I'm sure that the fall will bring with it an even bigger mix of sunny moments, cloudy moments, and everything in between. I'm even expecting some so-so moments (which one of my students calls moments in which one feels more than one emotion at the same time). 

Lots of love, sun, and clouds!
~Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment