Monday, March 20, 2017

Wintertime Happenings, Sun, and Clouds

Since I've replaced my "Month in Review" blog posts with monthly cultural posts, I thought it would still be fun to do "happenings" posts every few months....which allows me to continue to reflect on my sunny and cloudy moments AND to look back at the things I've done that may not have warranted their own blog post for whatever reason. 

So, as the springtime weather is slowly beginning to creep in...here are some of my wintertime happenings and reflections! 

~*Happenings*~

Nagoya Coffee Stand - Walk Rally - One weekend, when Kaz and I were visiting a new coffee shop, we saw a sign for a coffee rally to be held the very next day. Perfect timing for two coffee lovers, huh?! The coffee rally was held at three coffee shops around town. Each shop featured coffee from four or five coffee shops/roasters in the Nagoya area. Attendees purchased tickets in advance and then used their tickets to try the various drinks. 

The event was crowded and we had to wait in long lines at each of the coffee shops; however, the lines seemed to get shorter with each shop we visited - so that was nice. I also really enjoyed seeing so many people out enjoying the event and trying coffee! 

Japanniversary - January 4th was our "Japanniversary" - a whole year in Japan!! A few weeks later, after everyone returned from their holiday travels, we celebrated with the three lovely families who arrived in Japan on the same day that we did. How did we celebrate, you ask?! With Mexican night, of course! And, New Year's candy-filled bags for the kids...and one AMAZING strawberry shortcake!


Going to the movies - This definitely sounds way more exciting than it actually was; however, one thing we haven't done since arriving in Japan is to go to the movies. Especially since many of the movies don't come out in Japan until months after they debut in the US. For example, I have to wait until the end of April before I'll be able to see Beauty and the Beast. I had assumed that all of the movies would be dubbed in Japanese - so I hadn't actually ever thought about going to the movies until Kaz mentioned that he really wanted to see the new Star Wars movie. I was both surprised and pleased to find out, however, that many of the theaters offer an English viewing (with Japanese subtitles) once or twice a day. 

Noritake Gardens - Nagoya is home to Noritake Co., Limited, which is a leading company in the Japanese ceramics industry (and has been for close to 100 years). Noritake started out as a trading company for Japanese goods, which was established by the Morimura Brothers in New York City in 1876. Then, in 1904, the "original Noritake" company was established in the village of Noritake - a small neighborhood in Nagoya. The original goal of the company was to create western-style dinnerware for export. And, about ten years later in 1914, the first porcelain dinnerware plate (actually suitable for export) was created. 

The gardens were constructed on the former factory grounds and contain many exhibits detailing how the Noritake porcelain is made, as well as displaying old Noritake pieces. Visitors also have an opportunity to paint their own Noritake plate or mug. 

I visited the gardens twice within a matter of weeks. Once with a group of expats to paint our own Noritake plate and again with Kaz to explore the museums and gardens. 


Nagoya City Half Marathon - On March 12th, Kaz and I completed the Nagoya 1/2 Marathon - our second half marathon during our time in Japan. I had originally applied for the full marathon - as it's a woman-only race; however, they did a lottery and I wasn't chosen. Which actually worked out well - as I don't know if I would have been in full marathon shape by the time the run came around! The weather was perfect and although I didn't run the time I was aiming for - it was still really neat to run around "our city." 


Yuzen - A few weeks ago, I was able to try Yuzen, which is a Japanese dyeing technique for fabrics. Sensei Horibe is a master at using this technique to create the most beautiful kimonos I have ever seen! Ignorantly, I had absolutely NO clue that some kimono fabrics are actually hand-painted! I feel so lucky that I was able to watch him in action - if only for a few minutes. I gave the process a try and painted a few sakura blossoms. Man, he sure makes it looks easy! 


~*Kits Kats*~ 
Recently, my search for new and exciting Kit Kat flavors has left me empty-handed. I am beginning to wonder if the craze is ending and toying with the idea of finding a new snack/treat trend to explore! We were able to try two different "pudding" flavors this month...one of which was specific to the city of Kobe and the other which was much more generic. Kobe pudding won unanimously! 

~*Victories/Sunny Moments*~
Language - Over the past three months, I've been feeling a bit more confident when it comes to "using" my Japanese. Sure, the journey continues to have its ups and downs - my confidence can literally go from 100 to 0 in a single interaction - however, I have been putting myself out there more lately and am also feeling a bit less "fazed" when I fail completely! 

I found out in January that I passed the N5 Japanese Proficiency test, which means that I have a very basic understanding of the Japanese language...and can use simple (and rote) phrases when needed. Achieving this goal was definitely exciting for me (as I've studied a lot) and I've begun pondering whether I'll attempt N4 (the next level) this coming December. I've talked quite a bit with both Kaz and my sensei - and my goal as I continue to study is to increase my abilities to understand and communicate conversationally. The test focused much more on the mechanics of the language - and I am much more interested in using the language functionally! 

Last week, I also completed the Book 1 series and have moved on to the Book 2 series. As cheesy as it sounds, I did a little happy dance to celebrate this moment. I don't think I was expecting the sense of pride and accomplishment that accompanied this moment! As part of finishing up Series 1, I had to complete several review exercises...and it was during these exercises in which I realized just how much I have learned about the Japanese language in general. I can read short paragraphs (as long as I am able to look up specific vocabulary terms); understand a basic conversation (if I listen a few times); and, talk about my weekend (with some help and using rather simple language). If my sensei gives me a more complicated sentence in English, I am also getting better (and quicker) at translating it into Japanese. 

I've also had my first real-life conversations in Japanese recently. Kaz and I joined a gym in December and a few weeks ago one of the employees approached me and began speaking to me in Japanese. Although I totally stumbled - I was able to tell him that I was learning Japanese - and he was able to tell me that he was learning English. So, we had a conversation mainly in Japanese - with me using a bit of English from time to time. The neat thing was - I am pretty sure we both misunderstood portions of the conversation - but we were both able to laugh at those moments...which was definite motivation to continue trying to talk. Now, whenever I see him at the gym, we try to have a short conversation. I've even had to start thinking about things I may bring up when I see him...which is great practice for me - since I have to challenge myself to use more than just my basic sentences about who I am, where I'm from, and what I'm doing in Japan!! 

Work - I can confidently say that I am in "a groove" at work. After about a year, I am working with more students than I imagined I would be. My two days at the school are packed full and I am beginning to get to the point in which I am having to be creative in order to fit everybody in! I am really enjoying putting my "professional mind" to work - and am learning a lot from both my students and colleagues. 

I realized the other day that I haven't actually written a blog post about the adventures of being an SLP in a foreign country...so look for that post soon! I'm thinking it will be my "Everyday Differences" post for March! :) 

CCEA - This year, I have taken on the role of being the Membership Secretary for the Cross-Cultural Exchange Association (CCEA). CCEA is "a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting cultural exchange, international understanding, and friendships amongst women of all nationalities living in the Nagoya area." 

I first learned about the organization shortly after arriving in Japan. However, I was slow to look into the group because I was still trying to get my bearings straight...and wasn't sure I wanted to commit to anything. Then when I looked into joining about six months later, it was full. 

Last November, a friend of mine - who was the acting president of the organization - asked me if I would be interested in serving on the board in 2017. I was initially hesitant, however, I decided to give it a try. I am one of the membership secretaries, which means that I get to help manage and recruit members. Each board position has an expat representative and a Japanese representative who work together to fulfill the role. One of the best (and most interesting) parts of this role so far has been meeting and working with Japanese women - who I otherwise would probably not have met. We have monthly board meetings and it has been neat to see the cultural differences that frequently arise - like attention to details, comfort in vocalizing thoughts and opinions, etc. 

~*Challenges/Cloudy Moments*~ 
I was telling a friend of mine the other day that I am feeling much more settled in Japan lately. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what is making me feel more settled - other than the fact that life in Japan is just more familiar. Does it make more sense? Not really. Am I still basically illiterate and unable to communicate with others beyond simple interactions? Yep. Do I still stand out like a sore thumb? You bet! Am I still looking forward to returning to the US at the end of the year? Totally! And yet, Nagoya is starting to feel a bit more like home. The newness has begun to wear off, I have a better understanding of my surroundings and daily routines, I've begun to build a pretty solid friend base...and now that the "basics" of life don't require as much mental and physical energy...I am slowly finding other ways to challenge myself. If that makes sense?

If I had to sum up these thoughts into a single realization/lesson - it would be that moving to a new place (regardless of where it is) brings with it TONS of challenges and cloudy moments...and, with time...the sun starts to peek out...encouraging you to keep going! Here's to hoping that the sunny moments continue to outnumber the cloudy ones! 

Sun, clouds, and lots of love!
~Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment