Monday, November 28, 2016

My Head Hurts: The Language Journey - 10 Months Later


If you were to ask me to give you a word or short phrase to describe my current thoughts about my "Japanese language learning journey" - I would have to say...あたまがいたいです。Which translates to - "My head hurts." 

About two months ago, my sensei mentioned to me that another student of hers was taking the Japanese proficiency test (aka - JLPT). The JLPT has five levels - N5 being the lowest and N1 being the highest (native speaker status). The test is offered twice a year - in July and December - and from what I understand, you can choose the test level that you want to take...based on where you are in your learning process. You don't have to pass N5 to take N4, for example. 

Japanese Homework
When I started this language journey - my main goal was to learn as much functional Japanese as I could. I wanted to be able to understand and speak enough to get through daily life. From the start - I had decided that both writing (because I can type) and learning kanji (the picture-symbol system) were not on my "learning list" - at least for year 1 - because they just weren't functional for me. During lessons, I follow the text book, and learn grammar rules and vocabulary. I work to increase my understanding of what others say to me, my ability to respond/communicate very basic wants/needs, and my basic reading skills (as long as it contains no kanji). 

So, ten months later - where are you in this journey...you ask?  Hmmm...that's a good question...and actually the question that lead to my decision to take the JLPT - N5 this coming weekend. During my lessons, I "feel" like I am progressing. I can understand more complex sentences, I can create sentences (usually using a target grammatical concept), I can read short paragraphs, and I can usually complete the homework at the end of the chapter...with help from the book, of course!

However, and this is a big however, what does this "progress" look like outside of my lessons? Not much different...to be honest. Without Japanese friends - my use of the language remains transactional. I can navigate the grocery store, the dryer cleaner, and public transit - as long as they follow the scripts I am used to. I can "get by" at restaurants - with a lot of pointing, using Google translate...and learning to be okay with eating things I didn't think/know I ordered. When Kaz tells me about his day - I can understand at least generally what he is talking about...context and knowing his typical routine helps a lot. I can follow conversations a bit more...depending on what they are about, who is talking, and how much English is being inserted. I can sometimes make out a sign, a subway announcement, or something that is said...however, I still cannot understand WAY more than I can. 
And, to be honest, I am not surprised...and I am not upset. Though, sometimes I have my days. I think I have started to "get used to" living in a world in which I can only minimally communicate and understand. Luckily, in many ways...like work, family, friends, and even TV (when we are able to stream US shows)...my world still functions mainly in English. I do wonder sometimes...where my skills would be, if English was not an option. Total immersion...my SLP brain knows that's one major way to increase learning. 

Since I am someone who likes to set goals for myself...and because I secretly wanted a more objective measure of my progress...I decided to "challenge" myself and take the N5. I told myself from the get-go that the test was to be "just for fun." And, I really haven't told anyone about it - until now - because I didn't want it to become stressful. Though with less than a week to go...I'm definitely feeling some stress...er, at least having a few weird dreams that involve not having a pencil and having to take the test in a field without a clock. Random...

These last two months of preparing for the test/studying in a different way have been interesting for me...and have lead to even more realizations about the language-learning process...AND, the way in which I learn language. Here are a few of my reflections...

1. Context is everything. 
The JLPT test has four main parts - at least at the N5 level. They are: vocabulary (which does include about 100 possible kanji), grammar, reading comprehension, and listening comprehension. There is no oral expression (or open-ended) part of the test - it is all multiple choice. I have come to realize that out of these four areas - reading comprehension and listening comprehension are my strongest areas. And, I truly believe that context has a lot to do with this. With vocabulary and grammar - you either know it or you don't. However, if I am listening to a short conversation or reading a paragraph - all I really need to do is get the basic gist...and that gist can go a long way.

2. Previous experiences definitely shape how one views current experiences. 
While context does help quite a bit...I have learned that "my context" is often very different than "Japan's context." And, when this happens...confusion often results! Along with misunderstanding. The other day, I was reading a short paragraph which contained a lot of words that I didn't know. I was able to understand that a child had come home from school, turned the lights on in the living room, had a snack, and then went into their dark bedroom. From there - I was able to gather some additional bits...they turned their light on, they started playing guitar, and then another person was mentioned. My brain began to fill in the blanks...and I pieced together that the child's mom was outside and was able to hear the music outside of the window. However, to my surprise...the person was actually a random person - who was in the dark bedroom and then ran out of the room and house when they heard the music. The paragraph apparently ended with a statement about the child still not knowing to this day who the person in the house was. Scary!! 

Now, this paragraph may seem strange to most people...regardless of language or experience. My sensei thought it was equally as strange. However, I think it paints the picture perfectly of how we use "what we know" to help us fill in those "blanks." 

3. You learn language #2 through language #1.
Because I am working with many multiple-language learners, I have been taking some continuing education courses on topics such as determining difference versus disorder; and, what speech/language development of an additional language can look like. One of the topics that is brought up time after time...is that individuals use language #1 to learn language #2.  So, of particular interest to SLPs, are students who struggle in both languages...since that is more representative of a language disorder in general (that spans across languages) instead of simply a weakness in language #2 because of limited exposure.

Japanese sentence structure is completely different than English...and I am finding that my "English-way of thinking" makes using Japanese grammar extremely difficult. When listening to a sentence - I tend to focus on the meaning-filled words to get an idea. However, when I am given the words in a sentence and asked to put them in order...I struggle big time. And then, when I try to verbally create a grammatically-correct sentence...the struggle grows! Grammar has been my main area of focus as I prepare for this test...and whew, is it tough! I am constantly asking both Kaz and my sensei "why" something is a certain way or what the rule is. Some of the time - there is a rule; however, most of the time - there really isn't an answer - other than "it doesn't sound right when you word it that way." As frustrating as that response is...I realize that we use that reasoning/judgment all the time in English. I may not know what is wrong exactly - I just know it doesn't sound right. I think it's just fascinating that most of us just know...without being explicitly taught. 

4. There can be a huge difference between "learning" a language and "functionally" using a language. 
I've mentioned it before - and I'll mention it again, as I feel this thought bears repeating...SO MUCH goes into learning a language!! Through my test preparation...I have had to put various aspects of language aside in order to focus on other aspects...because my brain just cannot hold all of this information. At first, I was spending a lot of time learning grammar and vocabulary - but more in a memorization kind of way than a functional kind of way. The more I got into studying for the test - the more I started to realize that in "typical" test-like fashion...doing well on the test was going to be more about "outsmarting" the test than actually showing what I know when it comes to the Japanese language. Many of the test questions are worded in ways that are very tricky - and even Kaz struggled to understand some of the sample questions. I guess standardized tests everywhere are the same! 

As the test approaches, my plan is to take it...as I am not one who tends to back out of challenges that I've set for myself. However, after the test, my plan is to refocus my language journey a bit. Conversation and oral expression are definitely going to be at the top of my priority list.  My sensei and I have already talked about me allowing myself to struggle through lessons conducted mainly in Japanese - so I can start speaking more. I am hoping that as I shift this focus...the foundation that I have been building even more recently (through memorization-type activities) will surprise me by helping my conversational skills to improve even quicker. I guess we'll see how the journey goes! 

I'll close this post again with both the realization and appreciation for how naturally so many of us have acquired language. And, for the lessons that I am learning first-hand that continue to challenge me personally and professionally (as an SLP - who works to help children learn language). If you think of it...send some "pass N5" vibes my way on Sunday...and look for a future blog post about how the test played out! 

Sunny Moments: Language learning...
Cloudy Moments: Language learning...

No comments:

Post a Comment