Monday, May 16, 2016

Month 4 in Review

The past few weeks have been quite a whirlwind - as they often are once you begin to establish a routine. Perhaps a sign of "settling in" a tad more. My days have been spent learning Japanese, working at NIS, reading/researching ACT and stuttering, running, daily errands/chores, and other odds and ends. This month also ended with our first trip out of Japan since we've arrived - blog posts about both Hong Kong and Singapore coming soon. I think I might have said this last month...however, it seems and doesn't seem (at the same time) like we've been in Japan for four months. Time is a funny thing! 

Here's month 4...

Our relay team
Places Visited (and Activities)
-Shinmaiko Marine Park Relay (This was more of a "did" than a "visited;" however, I participated in my first running event in Japan during the month of April. One of Kaz's coworkers organized participation in this event - and it was a lot of fun. See my last post for even more about this event). 
Finished product

-Silver-Making Class (One of the girls set up a silver-making class at a local shop. I had a really great time. With the guidance of several sensei's, I was able to make a silver pendant. When I first signed up for the class, I really wasn't sure what to make...and once I was there, the idea came to me to make two intertwined rings. The two rings are different - one is twisted; and one has a hammered pattern. One ring represents me and the other represents my family, friends, and those important to me. I linked the rings to remind me that even though I may be far away from those I care about - we are still linked). 
Polishing the rings













-Tulip Festival at Kiso Sansen Park (I am learning that Japan LOVES flowers - and they are everywhere. It seems as though as soon as one type of flower finishes blooming, another one begins. After the sakura, the tulips bloomed - and we took a drive on a sunny Saturday to enjoy the views and scents. We also have been able to enjoy other beautiful flowers at the botanical gardens and around our neighborhood). I included some pictures of both.


The walls are made out of pottery...
Finished products, filled with wine!

-Seto (Kaz and I took a day trip to the small town of Seto; a 35-minute train ride from Nagoya. Seto is known for it's pottery. Not only can you buy pottery, you can also make or paint pottery as well. Since Kaz and I have made pottery in the past, we tried our hands in the art of glassblowing. While we had a great time - I don't think our cups would have come out in one piece without the help and assistance of our instructors. Let's just say, they guided us hand-over-hand for most of the lesson. In addition to our class, we also wandered around the town to see some of the old paths that were made out of pieces of pottery. In Japan, pottery is believed to have a soul - and so people do not throw it away even if it breaks.

-Hong Kong (Coming soon!)

Cafes Enjoyed
-Bakery Cafe (on the way to the Tulip Festival)
-Starbucks (had to try the green tea brownie frappe)
-Oslo Cafe (in Oasis 21)
-Elephant Grounds (Hong Kong)
-The Coffee Academics (Hong Kong)
-18 Grams Coffee Roastery Lab (Hong Kong)


-Milks (more of a wine bar than a cafe...but the outside seating in the middle of the city and the FRESH CHEESE earns this "cafe" a spot in the blog). 

Kit Kat Flavors Tasted
We have reached a sort of lull with our Kit Kat tasting during month 4. I think it's because we've been trying lots of other yummy treats...and because we haven't found any new flavors recently. With spring about to change into summer - and some weekend trips on the horizon...I am hoping that we will find a few more to add to our stash. 

-Raspberry 

Victories
-Overall, I have been feeling a bit more confident with the process of learning the Japanese language (not so much understanding or speaking in public yet though...baby steps). I am finding myself remembering more words - and slowly building my vocabulary. I also took some steps to put myself "out there" a bit more language-wise. In addition to the topics I wrote about in my last post, I also had tea with a Japanese speech-language pathologist. I received her contact information from another English-speaking, Japanese therapist when I presented in Tokyo in February. Ayumi-san grew up in Japan - and actually spent two years of her high school career in Kentucky! Her father worked for Toyota...so her family did a placement in the US, just like Kaz is doing a placement here. After college, she worked for Toyota for seven years, but when her boss had a stroke - she decided to go back to school to become a speech-language pathologist. She said that another factor that contributed to her wanting to become a speech-language pathologist was her struggle learning, understanding, and speaking English when she lived in the US. Although I was really nervous, her English was amazing - and she was patient and kind as I practiced my 10 "scripted" sentences with her (we then spoke English the rest of the time). I enjoyed learning a bit more about the similarities and differences of my field in Japan and the US (and I still have even more to learn while I'm here). 
-This month, we've had some wonderful weather...and I have been taking more time to get outside and enjoy the weather (especially before rainy season hits). I'm enjoying "slowing down" to take in the beauty that surrounds me - especially when walking or running around town. 

Goals
-Month 4 brought some moments of "blah-ness" (not sure if this is an actual word - if not, I will "coin" it). At first, I wondered if maybe part of it was adjusting back to being in Japan after a few weeks in the US - and the more I thought about it - the more I realized that there was a bit more to it. However, I just couldn't figure it out. I found myself being a bit more emotional than usual (scary thought, eh?) and slightly less able to "handle" my daily happenings. I found myself wanting to talk and be around people - and then when I was...I wanted to be alone. Kaz would ask me what was wrong or what I needed - and I really didn't know the answers to those questions. I would have moments of happiness and moments of sadness - and yet my resting emotion was just sort of "blah." 

During a Skype conversation with my friend Kara, I had a bit of a AHA moment (thanks to her questions, thoughts, and amazing ability to understand me).  I was talking to her about how I "knew" that I was living this awesome adventure...and then I paused. She asked me if I was about to follow up with a "but" comment - which I was (and yet had stopped myself). She helped me to remember that I can be living an awesome adventure AND have moments in which I am sad, scared, lonely, etc. Deep down, I knew this (and had just spent the previous week working on a paper about this very concept) - and yet, it really helped to hear it from someone else. She also helped me to realize that while I might not see the changes or growth within myself - they are still happening. It's tricky to step outside ourselves sometimes. 

I also realized that one of the "things" that was bothering me was that I wasn't feeling like I was showing the whole me to people in Japan. Here I sometimes feel like my identity is "an expat wife" or a "foreigner in Japan" and that is how I connect with people. And, that is often what conversation or daily life centers around...at least right now. Sure, I get in touch with the "SLP" side of me at work and I am "me" around Kaz. However, it's different than at home when I was around people who knew the "whole" me....and in situations in which I shared more aspects of myself with others. I am realizing how much small talk and interaction with others - even those little conversations at lunch or in the hallway - can help you to connect and grow (in ways more clearly recognizable, perhaps). This conversation and realization(s) have me pondering many different things...and also realizing just how important (and necessary) - it is for me to continue to reach out and connect with family and friends. And, how much "work" I may be doing internally to better figure myself out (especially in those moments of solidarity and silence). 

Sunny Moments
In addition to the ones above...

-Continuing to put myself out there and meet new people 
-Spending some energy exploring my artistic side
-Learning, learning, learning...and sometimes feeling like "a fish out of water" at work - as I explore the world of multi-language learning
-Continuing to further my passion in the area of stuttering by connecting with friends and colleagues at home (Scott and I wrote a paper; and, I'm hoping to help out more with camp...so thankful for Skype and technology!!)
-Beginning to plan visits for July - we have two sets of friends coming! :)

Cloudy Moments
In addition to the ones above...

-"Missing out" on events in my family and friend's lives...birthdays, babies, moves, fundraisers, etc. I know that I can connect from afar - sometimes it's not the same as being there.
-A little less time to "connect" with loved ones 

Sun, clouds, and lots of love!
~Jaime

1 comment:

  1. Love this post (and the beautiful pendant you made). Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete