Monday, February 20, 2017

Heating in Japan: Everyday Differences - Take 1!

Our "big" snowfall!
Whew - it's been a long blogging break! This winter season has gotten away from me a bit! 

Although, it's quite a bit delayed... here is my "January in Review" post. Instead of summarizing each month for Year Two, I've decided, instead, that it might be fun to pick things in my daily life that are different than back home and tell you all about them. 

So - this month's topic is...Heating! Quite appropriate for January, don't you think?! 

Before moving to Japan, I was told that the weather in Nagoya is a lot like that of North Carolina. The winters are milder; the summers are hotter. And, the humidity is the worse than one can imagine. The thought of milder winters made me happy...longer outdoor running seasons, less bundling up, etc. Or so I thought! Surprisingly, I am actually colder in Japan on a daily basis than I was in America. It's not because the actual weather temperatures are colder; instead, it's because heating (and the way it's used) in Japan is much different. 

Here's a few of the differences...

~*So Many Doors*~
The door to our living room and kitchen
When Kaz and I were looking at apartments in Japan, I remember thinking that they had so many doors. Not only were there doors to the bedrooms and bathrooms...there were also doors to the kitchen and living room. I soon came to realize that this is because most Japanese homes do not have central heating - so families buy heaters for individual rooms. We have a heater in our bedroom, one in our guest room, and then one in our living room that also heats our kitchen (when the door is closed). This means that our bathroom and hallways don't have any heat. It's not that big of a deal; however, it does decrease your motivation to go into other rooms knowing that they are much, much colder. Our heater also "tells" us when we have used more electricity than the day before - and when the temperature outside is warmer than inside...both cues to turn the heater off. I was definitely freaked out the first time this happened - and a woman's voice filled my living room! 

Traditional Japanese houses also have little to no insulation and can be quite drafty. The doors and windows open easily in the summer to cool the house; however, they do very little to keep the house warm in the winter. I've also learned that heated toilet seats in Japan are not just for show and the user's enjoyment. Once you've been in a non-heated bathroom in the middle of winter...those heated toilet seats make even more sense and become less of a luxury and more of a necessity! 

~*The Kotatsu*~
Our kotatsu 
Before coming to Japan, I had no idea what a kotatsu was...and now, having used one...I can confidently say that we will not be returning to the US without bringing one with us! In fact, our kotatsu was the first piece of furniture we bought once we arrived in Japan. 

The kotatsu has actually existed in Japan since the early 14th century. It began as a Japanese cooking hearth (called an irori), which used charcoal to cook food and heat the house. The modern-day kotatsu consists of a table with an electric heater attached to the underside. The kotatsu is usually set on a thin futon with a second and thicker futon placed over the kotatsu table. Then, a tabletop is placed over the table. This is actually really useful because in the warmer months - you simply remove the thicker futon and your kotatsu looks no different than a coffee table. The heater then heats the air under the table - and individuals sit with their legs under the table and the blanket covering much of their body. 

By sitting under the kotatsu, you can warm yourself up in minutes. There is even a dial that allows you to control the intensity of the heat. If I am going to sit under the kotatsu, I try to have everything that I need with me...because it is so hard to get out and expose yourself to the cold air! Many Japanese families even turn off their room heaters when they are sitting under the kotatsu. I'll be honest...I probably keep both heaters on more often than not! 

Irori
Modern-Day 
~*Walking*~ 
http://kathyzhao2011.blogspot.jp
Even though public transportation is wonderful here - I still walk A LOT! And, while I enjoy the exercise and time outside...there are days when I am actually "chilled to the bone." I don't miss having to scrape my car off in the morning; however, there are definitely days in which jumping into the car and blasting the heater sounds inviting...even just for a moment! 

Another thing I've found quite strange about winter in Japan is that more children seem to wear shorts and skirts than they do in the summer. On a daily basis, I will see students with jackets, gloves, hats, scarves, and...shorts! I don't know how they are not absolutely freezing! In fact, usually they look frozen...and I often have the urge to ask them if they are cold!

~*Vending Machines*~ 
Vending machine in the winter
In a previous blog post, I wrote about the amazingness that is the Japanese vending machine. They are everywhere - and can carry the most random assortment of items. Vending machines carrying drinks are those most common and during the winter months (from late September to early May), most vending machines carry hot drinks. Hot teas, hot coffees, hot cocoa, and even hot lemonade with honey (a personal favorite of mine). The labels under the hot drinks are red and the labels under the cold drinks are blue...which is logical and doesn't require one to read or understand Japanese. You put your money in, push the button, and out comes your drink in a hot metal can or plastic bottle. The metal cans are sometimes so hot that you have you hold them with your sleeve! 

After a long walk to the subway station or time outside, a warm drink always tastes good. And the fact that you can get one in less than a minute or two is wonderful!! 

~*Blankets in restaurants*~ 
In almost every restaurant and cafe you visit in Japan - you will see a pile of fleece blankets folded neatly in the corner. These can be used by any customer at any time if they are too cold. And, sometimes, an employee will even bring one to you. Kaz and I were sitting outside at a wine shop last year in mid-November and I put his coat on my lap because I was getting a bit chilly. Not even a minute later, an employee from inside the shop came out and offered me a blanket! The customer service here is amazing - they don't miss a thing! 

On that note, I hope you are all staying warm this winter...and enjoying the amazing wonder that is central heating! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment